05 March 2006

Reality

(Note: This post is Babylon 5 inspired. The Vorlons ask "Who are you?" The Shadows ask "What do you want?")

There was a time when most of my actions were dictated by what I thought I was "supposed" to do. I'm "supposed" to get upset over things. I'm "supposed" to try and fit in. I'm "supposed" to get good grades. I'm "supposed" to pick a hard major, because I got good grades. It wasn't until I burned myself out doing a double major in four years that I really figured out that I wasn't "supposed" to do anything. I was just "supposed" to be.

There's a danger in that realization, though: the danger of then doing nothing at all. But at the time, I had spent so much time on what I thought I was supposed to be doing that I had no clue what it was that I actually wanted. I think that was my very first meditational experience, sitting down in a quiet place and asking myself, "What do you want?" I had no clue. The usual things that people list, like money, a job, a family, meant nothing to me. I think I spent a year asking that question before I finally decided that since I didn't know what I wanted for me, I'd just start sending out positive thoughts to the rest of the world.

Eventually, I answered the question, "What do you want?" with "I want to be me." It was a good, satisfying answer that brought its own question: "Who am I?" In college, I had defined myself in terms of my mood and my major, largely. And in terms of what I wasn't. I wasn't a Methodist any more. I wasn't a high school student. After a while, I wasn't a teenager. I wasn't really interested in research (so why the devil was I majoring in physics? because I was "supposed" to). I didn't have much else when I started asking "Who am I?" again. The most useful answer to the question turns out to be "I am me." But at least I have some positives to add now. I am a Taoist. I am a taiji player. I am a teacher. I am a writer. But those are what I am, not who I am.

The thing is, it's impossible to be who you are while you're busy being someone else. And whenever you do what you're "supposed" to do, you are being someone else. You are living up to someone else's expectations, fulfilling someone else's dreams. I don't mean to suggest that people skip out on obligations to others, but that we honor those obligations because we want to, not because we are supposed to. And if we find we have obligations that we do not want to fulfill, perhaps it is time to start asking "Who am I?" and "What do I want?"

4 comments:

The Rambling Taoist said...

A very thoughtful essay! It's interesting, but it's really impossible to put into words who we are because, echoing Lao Tzu, the person we can describe is not the real person.

For me, I think the best way to say who we are is by how we live. Our actions -- toward ourselves and other beings -- speak louder than words.

Casey Kochmer said...

kurt vonnegut once wrote:

"You have to be very careful of what you pretend to be, as you may wake up to discover thats what you have become"

it was sound a profound quote to me as a child. Our culture teaches us to pretend to want to be so many things, and so few actually take the time to discover and just be themselves.

In the end to be a taoist is just to be yourself.

:)

Little Dragon said...

Interesting essay. This reminds me of a book that falls into the psychology category by a chap called Goffman titled "The Games People Play" (I think - it's been a while since I read it :)) Essentially it is all about the masks that people wear - we are so many identities in one body - daughter/sister/son/father/mother/worker/colleague etc and behaviours that are appropriate in one identity don't always work in another.

All these identities should be facets of the true identity at the core; unfortunately sometimes we end up identifying so closely with one facet that we forget what our true identity really is/was.

We lose touch with the real.

Thanks for your thought-provoking post.

Qalmlea said...

*nods* We do become what we pretend to be. Habits get etched into mind and body and won't let go without a fight.

little dragon: I can't remember the source, but an apt quote is "We are all many persons; some we know and some we do not."