15 August 2005

Freeing the Mind

The mind has been resting on objects all along, and so it is not used to independence; suddenly without resort, it is hard for it to remain at rest spontaneously. Even if you can pacify it for a while, it scatters in confusion again. Govern it as it arises, so that it does not become agitated. Eventually, after a long time, it will become tuned and tamed, able to be at peace naturally and spontaneously.

—from Practical Taoism by Chan Po-Tuan, trans. Cleary



This passage struck me as my experience in meditation this morning. My mind would not simply let go, but would cling to objects and ideas, images and forms. Partially this is my own fault for trying to let go rather than allowing myself to let go, but partially it is simply that my mind is not used to letting go. It clings to the familiar, the images and ideas, for fear of getting lost in nothingness. Perhaps someday, my mind will become "tuned and tamed," but I suspect that is a long way down the road.

No comments: