25 August 2005

Silly Activity

Ran across this on a blog that I read:

1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the sentence in your journal… along with these instructions.
5. Don’t search around and look for the “coolest” book you can find. Do what’s actually next to you.

So just for kicks, I tried it. The nearest book to me was The Traveler's Phrase Book, and on page 123 there was a map of Germany and the word Germany. So I looked for the next nearest book, which was The Iron Flute by Nyogen Senzaki.

Page 123, fifth sentence: "The old pine tree grows on a snow-covered rock."

The funny thing is that I absolutely love to go through a forest or along a river and see the trees growing straight out of solid rock. They always make me smile. Of course, I'm not usually out in the winter, so I've never seen this on a snow-covered rock. :-)

3 comments:

the Robot Vegetable said...

Ok, the neartest book was one of my journals,they have no lpage numbers, and in that era, very few sentences.

The next nearest was Bartletts' Familiar Quotations 14t edition. The fifth sentence, by Horace:

He who has begun has half done.

the Robot Vegetable said...

I thought this photo showed the tree growing out of the rock more clearly, but hey! at least there's snow.

Qalmlea said...

Awesome picture. :-)