30 August 2005

To pray, or not to pray...

Funny, but even during the brief time I called myself an atheist, I did not object to people praying around me. Or to someone calling for a large "group prayer." It was their right if they wanted to pray. I'm still not into prayer as the vast majority of people practice it; to me, it is somewhat sacrilegious to try and tell God what to do. But if they want to pray, that is still their right.

However, if it is true that the military was also downgrading and demeaning other religions, this is a problem. I support the rights of officers to have a prayer before a meeting, before a battle, or whatever. I also support the rights of soldiers to pray to whichever deity they choose, in whatever manner they choose (or not to pray, as they choose).

Here's the thing: a true atheist is not going to be bothered by people praying. Why? Because he'll just see it as pointless and silly, but not offensive. Problem is that there aren't very many true atheists. Most people who call themselves "atheist" are actually "antitheist". My own definition of antitheist is "someone who hates the god in whom he/she doesn't believe." So an antitheist must antievangelize, and eliminate any chance of exposing poor, innocent people to the perceived evils of religion. Since antitheism isn't seen as a religion, it is also not seen as falling under separation of church and state. But it is a religious position, admitted or not.

All right. Done ranting (for now).

No comments: